Van Halen – A Different Kind Of Truth

A RARE REPEAT SUCCESS
Reviewer: Skeeter
Artist: Van Halen
Album: A Different Kind of Truth
Released: February 2012

Okay, bud. The new Halen rips, eh? It’s official, straight from the mouth of the magGots. Time seems to have ravaged these boys in every way imaginable EXCEPT the onset of maggots. These leather-faced ladies have dragged themselves once again,…reluctantly, together around that chainsaw guitar sound of Sir Edward Van Halen esq. and laid it down.

Now, I’m no Van Halen freak. Never actually bought a VH record after the 1978 debut, but I like em plenty. I even just recently got old enough to respect the enduring talents of Grama Sammy Hagar. It took me a little while to even get curious about the new stuff, much less start to relax and enjoy it for what it is. So here we are: a half a year later where I, Ryan ‘Skeeter MagGot’ O.Neil find it important to tell the whole entire innarweebs that “A Different Kind of Truth” lives up to most any of the classic releases from the original lineup.

“Stay Frosty” is a perfect middle-aged rendition of that cheesy  shooby-do-wah shit they used to do like “Ice Cream Man” from the first record. The title is such a cheezy oldschool sentiment that it made me chuckle the first few times I heard it. Hell, the name could’ve been “Eat Pussy” and it would’ve fit within the young Halen attitude, but dammit, it would have been dishonest on this album. The “Truth” is this: Old crusty Dutchmen look (and probably feel) like shit, but they can still rrrrip with the best. So they dig up that unforgettable clown they used to roll with to see if, together again, they can offer the fans the old chemistry they’ve been begging for since 1984. So dare I say it’s age appropriate, and it’s great.

The first single release was a mistake. “New Tattoo” is solid album filler but nothing that should have been the anthem for Van Halen’s charge back into the crumbling rock kingdom. It should have been “China Town” or “She’s the Woman”  which both rule all ass!

“China Town” is bitch-slapping locomotive of a song, with old balls boldly hanging out the leg of a raggedy pair of jean shorts. Guitars skwee-ing and squabbling like a pissed off beehive. DAMN! That’s all.

“As Is” brings back that relentless Alex Van Halen double bass drum charge we know and love, with Diamond Dave’s self deprecating lyrics ” Once I was a bum and broke, Now I am a star and broke, In this town that’s called progress.” Didn’t someone tell him that ‘broke’ rhymes with ‘coke’? C’mon Dave, if your turning it back on yourself, let it all hang out! Anyways the message rings true for the whole album, enjoy and accept it as is.

Dave screeches at the top of his register like a distressed dog on “Beats Working”, a mid tempo grinder with all the genius EVH licks. Definitely a creeper of a song, it took me quite a while to realize it’s one of the strongest tunes on the whole thing, if not the best.

They don’t seem to be trying too hard on “Big River”, and that’s a good thing. With seeming ease they pop put a solid SOLID summer rock song. Man, even the solo seems understated. Same thing for “Blood and Fire” an epic summer tune with a dozen different parts, some bombastic and some reeled in. Agh, the song is done and I feel like I just got back from spring break at Picton Beach, dere Kingston boyos.

“Honeybabysweetiedoll” is why I love Roth and his role in the band: that of ‘epic song ruiner’. I’m sure in the 14 years since they released a record, the Van Halen brothers have amassed a plethora of well-worked material looking to be unleashed. Then ol’ Dave gets his sparkly mitts on it and retools monstrous thundering…, fucking medieval riffs into a gaped-mouth-smile-hands-a-waving muppet-fest. Take that pie to the face, Eddy.

Alex’s big airy drums lead in “Outta Space.” This seems the most like I’d imagine a 90′s version of VH with David Lee Roth, if they’d recorded something new. David does the old school vocal squeals with aplomb, but also tried some newer vocal techniques. I say newer cuz new wouldn’t float unless it was still 1998. New for Roth, anyways.

Then there’s the last two tracks, both very interesting and refreshing from the boys. “The Trouble With Never” just restates why I love Alex’s drums, just so big and energetic, like an unstoppable machine, but with such feel. Roth takes every twist and turn the song offers as another chance to get every zany idea, dirty limerick, and triple-entendre he’s thought of in the last decade.  I imagine him in real life like that very talkative but extremely unemployable schmuck that accosts you on the subway and regales you with unsolicited tales of jail sentences past.

I don’t feel like reviewing “You and Your Blues.” go listen to it yourself. It’s good. There.

The unfortunate thing about this release is that the bassist is no longer Michael Anthony. Well, let me rephrase that a little: It’s too bad that Michael Anthony isn’t the bassist, because I missed his backing vocals. I’m sure Eddy Van Halen laid down the bass on “Truth” and I’m also certain he’s a better bass player than Michael Anthony. Hell he’s probably a better trumpet player than Miles Davis! But that’s the one thing Eddy has not, is a voice. He sold that to Pall, and his brother Mall.

Speaking of voices, it’s very apparent they did a bunch of studio work into Roth’s vocals, so if your ready for that then by all means check out this great reunion album. History reports that getting one of these right is a rare occurrence.

Anyways you get the point and I hate track by track reviews.

Hasta la penis, magGots!

Skeeter

28 Comments

1. Posted April 14, 2013 at 4:00 am

This design is incredible! You certainly know how to keep a reader amused.
    Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved
    to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Wonderful job.
    I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how you
    presented it. Too cool!

2. Posted July 9, 2013 at 7:05 pm

WOW just what I was looking for. Came here by searching for margaret sanger

3. Skeeter
    Posted July 10, 2013 at 8:23 am

I’m glad the review at least made an impression. I wasn’t sure who Margaret Sanger was, cuz I couldn’t give a flying poo about the KKK and the history of ‘planned parenthood’, but I did look her up and I learned a few things about your intricate American history. Your sarcasm is a little cloudy. I’m not sure if you’re accusing us of being Aryans. I surely fit the profile physically. I’m as white as they come and have a shaved head, but that’s where the comparisons stop. Maybe you are suggesting that I’m the poster boy for birth control. Mmm… I guess you’d have a point. Cheers!

4. Posted September 10, 2013 at 8:16 am

Have you heard of the “Weight Watchers Drop Diet”, it
    is a diet I was given many years ago that originated from the Sacred Heart
    Memorial Hospital and was used for overweight heart patients
    who needed rapid weight loss before they could undergo surgery.
    For example, doing a set of push-ups and then a set of pull-ups.
    But, while trying any such weight-loss strategy or
    supplement, there are certain things you should bear in mind if you really want the ideal figure or
    physique you have always dreamt of.

5. Posted September 24, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Hi there to every , because I am actually keen of reading this blog’s post to be updated daily.

It contains nice stuff.

6. Posted October 10, 2013 at 10:37 am

That is really interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.
    I’ve joined your rss feed and look ahead to seeking more of your fantastic post.
    Also, I’ve shared your website in my social networks

7. Posted October 17, 2013 at 6:22 pm

8. Posted October 17, 2013 at 6:36 pm

There is always two ends to an issue – a GIVE party and a
    TAKE party. Therefore, in such a situation, if you try to call her or
    meet her, she might likely decline all your initiatives, also you
    are going to appear extremely needy and desperate to her, thus, pulling her away from
    you even more. Getting your girlfriend back is not a very
    easy-to-go step; you need to spend sufficient time on the entire
    process.

9. Posted November 1, 2013 at 11:57 pm

Hi to all, as I am actually eager of reading this webpage’s post
    to be updated regularly. It carries good stuff.

10. Posted November 4, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Do you have a spam issue on this blog; I also am a blogger, and I was
    wanting to know your situation; many of us have created some
    nice methods and we are looking to swap techniques with other folks,
    please shoot me an email if interested.

11. Posted November 9, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Right away I am going to do my breakfast, once having my breakfast coming yet again to read other news.

12. Posted November 19, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Tell yourself that on your first week, you will not change
    your habits. Other benefits derived from cardiovascular exercise include:
    Reduced risk of life-threatening cardiac events,
    such as a heart attack; Amelioration of risk factors for chronic disease, such as high cholesterol, high blood
    pressure, obesity and insulin resistance.
    Larger volumes (hard drives of hard drive partitions) take longer
    to convert.

13. In an hour MMA conditiioning circuit, take the last 5-10
    minutes and step up the intensity to a max interval. It is a whole contact fight sport that gives a large selection
    of fighting techniques, from a jumble of traditional
    boxing, to be used in war. Muay Thai conditioning is a combination of a
    daily 6-9 kilometer run, jumping rope for ten to twenty minutes, shadow boxing, and training with weights, kettle bells, and medicine balls.

14. Posted November 24, 2013 at 8:39 am

I’m amazed, I must say. Seldom do I encounter a blog that’s equally
    educative and engaging, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head.
    The problem is something which too few people are speaking intelligently about.

I am very happy that I came across this during my search for something regarding this.

15. Skeeter
    Posted November 24, 2013 at 9:11 am

Spam!

16. Posted November 26, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Hello, all is going sound here and ofcourse every
    one is sharing data, that’s actually fine, keep up writing.

17. Posted November 27, 2013 at 4:09 pm

You just light the pet odor exterminator candle and it does the
    job. Often, a sentimental housewarming gift will be
    one that the recipient will cherish for years to come.
    That being said, at the moment, he’s a fuzzy Idiot Savant.

18. Posted November 28, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Each of these factors is equally important in a muscle
    building program. In case you follow this direction you might
    consistently see your muscles growing and weight
    growing. The diet of an athlete is a bit different from the diet of an average person that does
    not participate in physical intense sport activities.

19. Posted December 1, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Hey there! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to
    follow you if that would be okay. I’m undoubtedly enjoying
    your blog and look forward to new posts.

20. Also, by bring up something funny or interesting that
    happened last night, you not only remind her who you are but also pull her back to
    the emotional state that she was in when she met you (and having fun.
    Believe it or not, these things will make your boyfriend interested in you
    again. While that bond may have once seemed only a thing of the past, it’s possible to bring
    it back into the present moment and even keep it going towards a renewed future.

21. Posted December 14, 2013 at 5:01 am

Artiсle Source: more on Stop Premature Ejaculation
    and Increase Sperm Count. To understand this you hаve to realize what hаppens as you go from non arousal tο a screaming orgasm.

ЕGCG can stop the growth of prostate cаncer dead
    in itѕ tracks.

22. Skeeter
    Posted December 17, 2013 at 9:34 am

I command you all to ejaculate!!!

23. Posted April 11, 2014 at 6:46 pm

Thanks for sharing your info. I truly appreciate your efforts and I am waiting for your further
    write ups thanks once again.

24. Posted May 29, 2014 at 5:29 pm

We know it is human nature to devalue the things we receive
    for free. Naperville landscapers are a solution for yard landscape and maintenance.

If you haven’t yet, open the box your motherboard came in and use the manual to make sure you have everything that should be there.

25. Posted July 17, 2014 at 12:25 am

A book for any photographer who’s ever felt compelled to combine their craft with the world of commerce and make the transition to becoming a vocational photographer. More like a sketchbook of ideas and wisdom than it is a system to get rich quick on photography, VisionMongers takes a look at the changing landscape of professional photography and the various journeys that can be taken to get there.

26. Posted September 17, 2014 at 10:24 am

Thanks for the marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed reading it, you
    might be a great author. I will make sure to bookmark your blog and definitely will come back in the future.
    I want to encourage that you continue your great job, have
    a nice holiday weekend!

27. Posted October 1, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Nice post. I was checking continuously this blog and I’m impressed!
    Very helpful info specially the last part :) I care for such info a lot.
    I was seeking this particular information for a long time.
    Thank you and good luck.

28. Posted October 11, 2014 at 4:37 pm

I have fun with, cause I found exactly what I used to be having a look for.
    You have ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day.
    Bye